Go Back   Farm Town > Feedback and Suggestions > General Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Feb 22 2010, 12:50 PM
Account Not Linked

I always harvest and plow in full screen and the chat box always opens up at the bottom when the farmer is talking to me. It's a matter of paying attention and minimizing if need be to respond. Don't know if everyone can see the chat box in full screen, but I know my husband does because I've had to remind him to hide my trees!

As far as people not understanding English, that I can forgive. But with a screen name like 'IdahoMom' (example only), I'm pretty sure she can read English.
Old Feb 23 2010, 02:30 AM

Not only does the chat box open up, a chat bubble appears as well - even in full screen, you can see it and unless you're so zoomed in that you cannot see anything other than a modest amount of land, you should know when someone is talking.
Old Feb 23 2010, 05:14 AM
Account Not Linked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charo View Post
Not only does the chat box open up, a chat bubble appears as well - even in full screen, you can see it and unless you're so zoomed in that you cannot see anything other than a modest amount of land, you should know when someone is talking.

The chat box does open sometimes if someone comes onto the farm, but if the person is working they are not paying attention to the chat box. They are there to work not chat. If you have special instructions for them say so up front. As for the chat bubble same thing they either are not paying attention or they are zoomed into the area they are working on and can't see you or your chat bubble. I don't understand why so many people get so upset because people don't chat while they are working. I'm sorry but if you hire me to work that is what I'm going to do. I will say thank you at the end but other then that I'm going to be harvesting or plowing which ever I was hired to do. If that is a problem for people then put me on ignore and you will never have to hire me again.

Visit Dolphin's Cove

My name is not Jason. Please call me JAS, if you like.
Old Feb 23 2010, 10:39 AM
Account Not Linked

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitysgate View Post
I always harvest and plow in full screen and the chat box always opens up at the bottom when the farmer is talking to me. It's a matter of paying attention and minimizing if need be to respond. Don't know if everyone can see the chat box in full screen, but I know my husband does because I've had to remind him to hide my trees!

As far as people not understanding English, that I can forgive. But with a screen name like 'IdahoMom' (example only), I'm pretty sure she can read English.
Quote:
Forgive me, folks, but exactly what is it you must impart so urgently to your workers after they arrive on your farm that their apparent lack of response to your chat messages ticks you off so? If you're hiring from the MP and have special requirements, that's the place to discuss them -- either with the entire room, or using the capability to exchange private messages with a potential worker.

Before the "harvest crops only" option was available, I could see people getting upset about workers harvesting trees when they were asked not to, as a matter of courtesy. But really ... at this point, there's not much if anything that needs to be said between hiring farmer and worker except (hopefully) a courteous thank-you. The plowing and harvesting actions themselves don't require supervision or running commentary.

I'm with Jas on this one. If you want me to keep an eye on the chat window for some reason while I'm working, then say so up front. Otherwise, don't give me grief for not responding to your messages when after doing the job I pop out of full-screen to offer my thanks.

A little communication about expectations goes a long way.
Old Feb 23 2010, 11:00 AM
Account Not Linked

I always ask at the marketplace for workers who know how to hide trees and buildings. Always. I always get people who say yes, they do. I hire them. When I get back to my farm with them, they don't know how to hide trees or buildings. I repeat myself and ask if they would like instructions on how to do so. I am ignored. I believe people say they can hide things when they have no idea how to, just to get the job.

And no, I won't chat with my workers beyond instructions that they're not following. They're there to do a job and leave. I do always say thank you and wish them a good day/evening, and that's that.
Old Feb 23 2010, 04:50 PM

I do that same in the MP i ask workers can they do this or that depending on what i want and only to hire them and they have no idea, and when you are TRYING to help them so they do know they ignore me, so i think they really do know but choose to not to do as asked of them deliberately, i'm not saying that every single one of them do it but i bet there is quiet a number of them who do.... as for giving instructions in the MP i find this bit hard at times as there is a large number of workers spamming the screen and trying to find someone to Private message can be difficult with the constant flooding.

If my workers want to chat i will chat if they don't that is fine, a simple 'thank you" when they have finished only the polite thing to do...

Happy farming may your crops and prosper
Old Feb 26 2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyMo View Post
Forgive me, folks, but exactly what is it you must impart so urgently to your workers after they arrive on your farm that their apparent lack of response to your chat messages ticks you off so? If you're hiring from the MP and have special requirements, that's the place to discuss them -- either with the entire room, or using the capability to exchange private messages with a potential worker.
What's so urgent? Perhaps the person has not hidden trees, and needs to be taught how. It's partially for my benefit, but mostly for theirs. I'm not there to lord over people or socialize too much, but if I see someone screwing up I'd like to be able to correct them for their own benefit.
Old Feb 26 2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
What's so urgent? Perhaps the person has not hidden trees, and needs to be taught how. It's partially for my benefit, but mostly for theirs. I'm not there to lord over people or socialize too much, but if I see someone screwing up I'd like to be able to correct them for their own benefit.
i agree in the trees need to be hidden part and they need to be taught. i allways ask for workers who can hide trees and like most of us know many are not truthful, i learned this most on my farm as my second farm the crops are all hidden. i have had worked go as far as yell at me with rude name twards me because there were no crops only trees. and ignore my telling them hey there are pineapples under them.. oh well their loss they got ignored and i got a new worker ...

if my worker wants to chat i will stick around i dont mind a good conversation if not they can finish their job and i will come to the forum checking back to see if they need to be hired to plow yet
Old Feb 27 2010, 07:02 PM

For most of my time playing Farmtown (I'm Level 60 now) I've been able to hire my neighbors to work on my farm. For the past few moths though many of my neighbors have left the game, so it's harder to catch a neighbor online when I need them. Instead I've been hiring from the Marketplace.

I'm in no particular hurry so I hire two people for one of my farms with a large harvest, and one person for the other farm with a medium harvest. I include trees for whomever wants them, and plowing too if they like. I sometimes end up, though, with 3-4 people for the large crop since not everyone answers my request right away and I end up making another request unknowingly. I usually have no grumblings from anyod. But there are those who feel themselves somehow entitled, as though they are doing me a "favor" working for me. For instance today I went ahead and hired a farmer who advertised they's only harvest if they could plow, then she proceeded to tell me not to hire anyone else when two more farmers showed up to help. Then she just "stood there" and refused to answer my plow requests when I first hired another farmer to plow also. Needless to say I will never hire her again.
Old Feb 27 2010, 08:12 PM
Tycoon ( Level 33 )

Farmer Since: May 25 2009
Level:
Trophies: 11
XP:

I get really annoyed when I'm in the market place waiting for a job to come up and there are people there who flood the chat with "HIRE ME" or "NEED JOB". I just sit and wait. Some people just need to be a little more patient when it comes to jobs. Just keep an eye out and if someone is offering work, then ask. Fellow farmers are more likely to hire someone who hasn't been spamming the board! I often get 2-3 jobs just sitting there.

Visit No.8 Wired

DB:W20, MPS:C20